Spaghetti Squash With Fresh Tomato Sauce
Prep: 10 min Microwave: 20 min
Stand: 10 min Cost per Serving: 79 cents
Spaghetti squash came by its name because its flesh,
when cooked, separates into thin
One 3 1/2-pound spaghetti squash, halved crosswise
and seeds scooped out
3 large ripe tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds), cut in 1/2-inch
pieces (2 1/2 cups)
1 cup loosely packed basil, rinsed, drained and coarsely
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste
1. Place squash halves, cut sides down, on waxed paper
on bottom of microwave oven.
Microwave on high 16 to 20 minutes, rearranging squash
twice, until strands become
loose and translucent. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. While squash cooks, mix remaining ingredients in
a large bowl until blended.
3. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork
to scrape the spaghettilike strands
of squash directly into bowl with tomato mixture.
4. Gently toss to mix. Serve immediately.
* Serves 6. Per serving: 131 cal, 4 g pro, 21 g car,
5 g fat, 3 mg chol, 288 mg sod. Exchanges:
4 vegetables, 1 fat