CURRIED-RICE(M) USENET Cookbook CURRIED-RICE(M)
CURRIED-RICE - Baked rice with a mild curry flavor
This is a slight modification of the "Riz a l'Indienne" from
the 60-Minute Gourmet (Pierre Franey). It's more French
than Indian, and goes well with, say, sautéed chicken in
INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
2 1/2 Tbsp
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1 cup rice
1 Tbsp curry powder, vary amount to taste.
1 1/2 cups
chicken broth, (or chicken bouillon, or water)
2 sprigs parsley
1 bay leaf
(1) Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.
(2) Obtain casserole or heavy ovenproof saucepan with
a close-fitting lid.
(3) Over a burner on moderate heat, melt half the
butter in the casserole and cook the onion and
garlic, stirring constantly, until the onion is
(4) Add the rice and stir until well-coated with
(5) Add the curry powder and stir until well-blended.
(6) Add the broth and stir to make sure there are no
(7) Add the parsley and bay leaf on top.
(8) Cover and bake in the oven for 17 minutes (Franey
says exactly 17 minutes, but basically "cook until
(9) Discard parsley and bay leaf, and stir in remain-
This basic recipe may be varied by modifying quantities (for
example, less onion) or adding ingredients (for example,
pine nuts or apple chunks).
Difficulty: easy Time: 15 minutes preparation, 25 minutes
cooking. Precision: Measure the rice and broth.
Digital Equipment Corp., Western Research Lab, Palo Alto, California, USA
From: moiram@tektronix (Moira Mallison)
Subject: RECIPE: curried shrimp macaroni salad
Date: 30 May 86 03:34:20 GMT
Organization: Tektronix, Inc, Beaverton, Oregon
Copyright (C) 1986 USENET Community Trust
Permission to copy without fee all or part of this material is granted
provided that the copies are not made or distributed for direct commercial
advantage, the USENET copyright notice and the title of the newsgroup and
its date appear, and notice is given that copying is by permission of
the USENET Community Trust or the original contributor.