Vickie Smith's Macaroni And Cheese Casserole
Prep: 5 min Cook: 15 min Bake: 45 min
Make Ahead: 24 hr
Total Cost: $8.90
If Vickie doesn't bring her hearty chili dip to her small-town Vermont potlucks, you
might see her riding her horse to town to get the ingredients for this favorite casserole.
(Yes, she rides into town.) You can do everything up to Step 4 as much as a day ahead,
then pop the casserole in the refrigerator. If you want to bring it to the party warm, just
pop it in the oven while you're getting dressed. Or heat it up at the hostess's house.
2 boxes (14 ounces each) deluxe macaroni and cheese dinner
1 bag (16 ounces) frozen broccoli florets
1/2 cup milk
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of asparagus soup
1 pound kielbasa (Polish sausage), cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices
1. Heat oven to 325 F. Grease a shallow 3 1/2- to 4-quart baking dish.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook 10 to 12 minutes, until
tender. Stir in broccoli, then immediately drain macaroni and broccoli in colander.
3. Squeeze cheese packets into same pot. Stir in milk and soup until blended. Stir in
drained macaroni and broccoli, then the kielbasa. Put in prepared baking dish and cover.
(Refrigerate at this point if making ahead.)
4. Bake, covered, 35 to 45 minutes, until bubbling around edges.
* Serves 12. Per serving: 369 cal, 16 g pro, 35 g car, 18 g fat, 44 mg chol, 1,102 mg sod.
Exchanges: 2 starch/bread, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat