Old-Fashioned Bread-And-Butter Pudding
Prep: 10 min Bake: 1 hr
Cost per Serving: 33 cents
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
10 slices firm white bread
1/2 cup raisins
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups milk
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Have ready a shallow 2-quart baking dish and a large roasting pan.
2. Butter one side of bread slices. Cut each in 4 squares. Arrange in dish, buttered side up
and slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with raisins.
3. In a medium-size bowl, beat eggs with 1/2 cup of the sugar, the vanilla, cinnamon and
nutmeg. Beat in milk until blended. Pour evenly over bread. Sprinkle with remaining
4. Place dish in pan. Add enough hot water to pan to come about halfway up sides of the
5. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from
water to a rack. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.
* Serves 8. Per serving: 304 cal, 9 g pro, 46 g car, 10 g fat, 127 mg chol with butter, 119 mg
chol with margarine, 275 mg sod. Exchanges: 1 starch/bread, 1 3/4 fruit, 1 1/2
medium-fat meat, 1/3 dairy/skim milk, 1 1/3 fat