Prep: 5 min Cook: 14 min Bake: 30 min
Cost per Serving: $1.47
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1 packet (1 3/8 ounces) spaghetti-sauce mix
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
1 large egg
Whites of 2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Have ready an 11x7-inch baking dish or other shallow
2-quart baking dish.
2. Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet over
medium-high heat, breaking up
chunks with a wooden spoon, 4 minutes or until meat
is no longer pink. Drain off any
fat. Stir in tomato sauce, spaghetti-sauce mix and the
water. Simmer uncovered 10
minutes until sauce thickens.
3. Heat oven to 400 F. Scrape meat mixture into ungreased
baking dish. Sprinkle evenly
with shredded cheese.
4. In a large bowl, beat or whisk the egg and egg whites
until foamy. Beat in milk and oil,
then stir in flour and salt until well blended. Pour
over cheese layer.
5. Bake 30 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
* Serves 4. Per serving: 650 cal, 39 g pro, 44 g car,
35 g fat, 167 mg chol, 2,040 mg sod.
Exchanges: 2 starch/bread, 2 vegetable, 4 meat, 3 fat