From: Clare CMS
Here's a recipe for the BIG appetite. This will make 2 LARGE (plate-size) calzones that
are definetly a meal in themselves.
1) Dissolve 1 pk yeast in 1 cup warm water.
2) Mix 1 TBSP sugar, 2 TBSP oil, 1 tsp salt, 2 3/4 c flour to yeast and water.
3) Mix together till smooth. Knead and cover for 30 minutes. I cover with clear wrap
In separate bowl: (this is what I use for a meaty and cheesy calzones. The ingredients are
up to you).
1) Mix 1 small can mushrooms, drained
2) 1/4 green pepper
3) 2 slices of onion
4) 1 jar Ragu (any kind)
5) 1 tsp italian seasoning
6) 1 tsp oregano
7) 1 tsp basil
8) 1/2 tsp garlic salt
9) 4 links of cooked italian sausage
Roll out dough approx. 10" circle. Place 1 to 2 cups of sauce mix in center of dough. Add
1/2 cup mozzeralla cheese to sauce in the calzones. Fold over and crimp shut.
Place on greased cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter (after 15 minutes of cooking).
Cook for a total of 25 min @ 375 degrees or until golden brown. Cover with remaining
sauce and cheese and enjoy !!!
HINT: this makes an awsome pizza crust as well.
Please let me hear some feedback on this recipe .