Mexican Shrimp Salad
Prep: 45 min Cook: 25 min Chill: up to 24 hr
Cost per Serving: $2.09
Make-Ahead Tip: The shrimp and rice can be cooked and the vegetables cut the day
Cook's Tip: Don't touch your eyes or nose when handling jalapeno peppers, and be sure
to wash your hands well with soap and water when you're done.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds (about 48) large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 boxes (8 ounces each) yellow-rice mix
4 cups water
1 envelope (0.8 ounce) Mexican-spice dressing mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar or fresh lime juice
3 medium-size bell peppers (any color), cut in thin strips
1 medium-size cucumber, well scrubbed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup loosely packed cilantro, finely chopped
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/4 cup minced fresh or pickled jalapeno peppers (optional)
1. Heat oil in a heavy 4- to 5-quart pot. Add shrimp and garlic. Stir over medium-high
heat 2 to 3 minutes, until shrimp are pink. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 to 2
minutes, until shrimp are cooked through.
2. Spread shrimp on a large plate to cool, then cover and refrigerate.
3. Add rice mix and water to juices in pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer
15 to 20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Cover and refrigerate.
4. Shortly before serving: Whisk dressing ingredients in a 6-quart or larger pot or bowl
until blended. Add shrimp, rice and remaining ingredients. Toss to mix and coat.
Mound on serving platter or in bowl.
* Serves 12. Per 1 1/2-cup serving: 322 cal, 16 g pro, 35 g car, 13 g fat, 93 mg chol, 426 mg
sod. Exchanges: 2 starch/bread, 1 vegetable, 2 fat