Prep: 20 min Cook: 10 min
Bake: 1 hr Cool: at least 4 hr
Total Cost (without garnish): $1.75
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
5 large eggs
1 can (about 14 ounces) coconut milk (not cream of
1 cup milk
Garnish: sweetened shredded coconut, fresh or canned
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Have ready an 8-inch square baking
pan and a large roasting pan.
2. Put 1/2 cup of the sugar and the water in a small
heavy saucepan over medium-high
heat. Bring to a boil, swirling pan until sugar dissolves.
Boil 3 minutes or until syrup
turns golden amber. (Watch carefully that it doesn't
get dark or it will taste burned.)
Immediately pour into baking pan. Holding pan with potholders,
tilt to coat bottom
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs and coconut milk until
well blended. Beat in remaining
sugar and the milk. Pour into baking pan.
4. Place baking pan in roasting pan. Add hot water to
roasting pan to come halfway up
sides of smaller pan.
5. Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour until a knife inserted
near center comes out clean. Remove
from water and let cool completely. Cover and refrigerate
at least 4 hours or up to 4 days.
6. To serve: Run a thin knife around edges of custard.
Place inverted rimmed serving
plate over pan. Holding plate and pan together, carefully
turn both over. Lift pan and let
syrup run onto plate. Garnish with coconut and pineapple.
* Serves 6. Per serving: 346 cal, 8 g pro, 38 g car,
20 g fat, 183 mg chol, 81 mg sod.
Exchanges: 2 1/4 fruit, 3/4 medium-fat meat, 1/4 dairy/skim
milk, 3 fat