APPLE-SQUARES(C) USENET Cookbook APPLE-SQUARES(C)
SECOND DAY APPLE SQUARES
APPLE-SQUARES - Sugary, moist apple squares
Try to avoid eating very many of these squares on the day
you make them, as they improve immeasurably on the second
and third day! This recipe originally came from a Pillsbury
INGREDIENTS (Makes 12-15 squares)
2 cups unbleached white flour
2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups apples, peeled and finely chopped (about 2 apples)
(1) Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
(2) In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar
(3) Blend at low speed, until the mixture forms fine
(4) If you want to include them, stir in the nuts now.
(5) Place 2 3/4 cups of the crumb mixture into an
ungreased 13x9 inch pan. Press down firmly.
(6) Add the remaining ingredients (except for the
apples) to the remaining crumb mixture. Blend
(7) Stir the chopped apples into the batter. Spoon
the batter evenly over the crumb base in the pan.
(8) Bake at 350 deg. F for 30-40 minutes. If you use
the larger pan, bake for 25-30 minutes.
(9) Cool before cutting. Better yet, let it wait 24
hours before cutting.
(10) Store loosely covered.
Difficulty: easy. Time: 15 minutes preparation, 40 minutes
baking. Precision: approximate measurement OK.
Apollo Computer, Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA
From: sue@multimax.ARPA (Sue LoVerso)
Subject: RECIPE: Applesauce salad
Date: 20 May 88 06:11:14 GMT
Organization: Encore Computer Corp. Marlboro, Massachusetts, USA
Copyright (C) 1988 USENET Community Trust
Permission to copy without fee all or part of this material is granted
provided that the copies are not made or distributed for direct commercial
advantage, the USENET copyright notice and the title of the newsgroup and
its date appear, and notice is given that copying is by permission of
the USENET Community Trust or the original contributor.