SURPRISE DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE
Prep: 20 min Bake: 45 min
Total Cost: $2.98
The surprise in this luscious cocoa cake is--ta da!--shredded beets. They enhance the
deep reddish-brown color and add moisture. Good with or without Chocolate-
Buttermilk Sauce. Store tightly covered at room temperature up to four days
or freeze up to three months.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, margarine or spread, melted
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 medium-size fresh beets (8 ounces), peeled and finely
shredded or grated (2 cups)
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
3. Whisk in buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Stir in beets. Pour into prepared dish.
4. Bake 45 minutes, or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on
wire rack. Cut in pan.
* Serves 12. Per serving: 282 cal, 6 g pro, 45 g car, 10 g fat, 75 mg chol with butter, 54 mg
chol with margarine, 267 mg sod. Exchanges: 2 starch/bread, 1 fruit, 2 fat