JALAPENO CORN BREAD
Prep: 12 min Bake: 30 min
Cost per Serving: 28 cents
This can be made up to one day ahead, tightly covered and refrigerated. Warm it in a
microwave or hot oven before serving.
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk or plain, low-fat yogurt, stirred
1 cup fresh, canned or thawed frozen corn
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium-size jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
12 fresh sage leaves (optional)
1. Place a 9- to 10-inch ovenproof skillet in oven. Heat oven to 400 F.
2. In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until
3. Stir in buttermilk, then all remaining ingredients except sage leaves, until smooth.
4. Remove hot skillet from oven and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in
batter and arrange sage leaves, if using, on top.
5. Bake 30 minutes or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in skillet.
Serve slightly warm.
* Serves 8. Per serving: 253 cal, 7 g pro, 42 g car, 6 g fat, 2 mg chol, 306 mg sod. Exchanges:
2 1/2 starch/bread, 1/4 dairy/skim milk, 1 1/4